[i3-discuss] qiv still comes up as floating when floating windows disabled
f***@ofb.net
2018-09-20 18:34:38 UTC
Hello,

I'm a bit stumped by something I encountered this morning.

I revisited an old image-viewer, qiv, which I haven't used in years.
It brought up a floating window in i3. However, I have the following
line in ~/.i3/config and I haven't seen any floating windows since I
added it:

for_window [class=".*"] floating disable

These are the only other lines in my config which have the string
"float", they all work:

floating_modifier $mod
bindsym $mod+Ctrl+space floating toggle
bindsym $mod+space focus mode_toggle

Here is the output of xwininfo, as you can see the class InputOutput
matches the regex ".*" :)

xwininfo: Window id: 0x2000003 "qiv: amenhotep//home/frederik/pkg-tmp/R/R-svn/file.png (480x480) 0.0s 100% [1/1] b0/c0/g0 (-)"

Absolute upper-left X: 400
Absolute upper-left Y: 160
Relative upper-left X: 2
Relative upper-left Y: 0
Width: 480
Height: 480
Depth: 24
Visual: 0x20
Visual Class: TrueColor
Border width: 0
Class: InputOutput
Colormap: 0x22 (installed)
Bit Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
Window Gravity State: NorthWestGravity
Backing Store State: NotUseful
Save Under State: no
Map State: IsViewable
Override Redirect State: no
Corners: +400+160 -400+160 -400-160 +400-160
-geometry 480x480+400+160

Any ideas what might be happening? I know that I'm editing the right
config file, because I can comment out the "floating disable" line and
floating windows come up again.

Of course, I should probably be using an image viewer which supports
resizing if I want to use it with i3... maybe that's the problem?

Thanks,

Frederick
Ingo Bürk

f***@ofb.net
f***@ofb.net
Ingo Bürk
2018-09-20 19:35:34 UTC
If you pull a minimal log file on a new session (no other windows open), there shouldn't be much sensitive data left (you can also further anonymize it if you want).

If you don't feel comfortable sharing the file, you can look for a log line containing the window class. There should be a window ID in that line. Then find the line containing that ID and "Managing" and from that point on work your way through the file to see why it's floated.

To be honest, that's not a trivial thing to do without experience with i3 log files.

Regards
Post by Ingo Bürk
Hi Frederick,
it's easy to say for sure if we have a look at a log file. A
possible explanation would be the client setting their window class
after mapping the window.
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by Ingo Bürk
Regards
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by Ingo Bürk
Post by f***@ofb.net
for_window [class=".*"] floating disable
These are the only other lines in my config which have the string
floating_modifier $mod
bindsym $mod+Ctrl+space floating toggle
bindsym $mod+space focus mode_toggle
Here is the output of xwininfo, as you can see the class
InputOutput
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by Ingo Bürk
matches the regex ".*" :)
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my
brevity.
f***@ofb.net
2018-09-20 19:36:12 UTC
You were right there is no class:

09/20/2018 12:22:30 PM - window.c:window_update_class:31 - WM_CLASS not set.

And adding this line to my config fixes it:

for_window [title=".*"] floating disable

Thank you!

Frederick
Ingo Bürk
2018-09-20 19:37:11 UTC
If this is the root cause, consider filing a bug against the application since this is a violation of the specifications. Cheers!
Post by Ingo Bürk
Hi Frederick,
it's easy to say for sure if we have a look at a log file. A
possible explanation would be the client setting their window class
after mapping the window.
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by Ingo Bürk
Regards
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by Ingo Bürk
Post by f***@ofb.net
floating_modifier $mod
bindsym $mod+Ctrl+space floating toggle
bindsym $mod+space focus mode_toggle
Here is the output of xwininfo, as you can see the class
InputOutput
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by Ingo Bürk
matches the regex ".*" :)
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by Ingo Bürk
Post by f***@ofb.net
resizing if I want to use it with i3... maybe that's the
problem?
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by f***@ofb.net
Post by Ingo Bürk