xsession vs xinitrc using startx from console
Alexander Beerhoff
2018-08-08 14:05:34 UTC
Dear i3 mailing list user member,
I'm a newbie of *nix system (debian buster). I run i3 using startx from
console where, as far I know, I need to put the command exec /usr/bin/i3 in
.initrc: in this case I have timeout error (in log file) executing
gnome-terminal, cannot exit i3 clicking on yes buttom after $mod+shift+e
and cannot open many application as default file viewer, while firefox,
lilyterm works.
Adding a .xsession file with same contents of .xinitrc solved these
problems.
Someone can gives me some hints why this happens? It the right behaviour?

Thanks for attention and best regards.

--
Umi sukoschi
Niwa ni izumi no
Ko no ma ka na
Casper
2018-08-08 14:41:46 UTC
I run i3 on Ubuntu and had a similar question. While this solution is
tailored to Ubuntu, it should hold for Debian. Under older versions
of Ubuntu I would only install i3 plus whatever else is used for
x-windows to run and also used Slim as a graphical login/Display
manager. Installing a Display Manager such as Slim would then install
the dependencies and configure the system which might eliminated many
of your problems above. While there is an i3buntu distro on github, I
now prefer to start with a plain vanilla Ubuntu Server without any
Ubuntu-imposed crud. Since Ubuntu is apparently no longer going the
Slim compatible route I then install a base LXDE environment so that I
have access to the comprehensive LXDE control panel to configure
whatever system configuration elements I might struggle with. This
also installs lxsession and openbox-lxde-session where I login to a
graphical display manager and can choose between Lxde or i3 as my
preferred environment. I cannot remember the details, but in the past
it has occasionally been easier to start Lxde to fix things and
configure parts of the system.

This solution might, or might not work for you.
Ko no ma ka na
Oliver Kraitschy
2018-08-08 19:27:23 UTC
Hi Alexander,

coming from Arch Linux I also used a .xinitrc when I switched to Debian on
the desktop. But I had some issue (I think it was something about mounting
external volumes with thunar) and then discovered that in Debian one
should use .xsession instead of .xinitrc - see `man startx` for example.
And that indeed solved my issue back then. I don't know the exact
difference (apart from what is mentioned in the startx manpage) but it
certainly doesn't hurt to use .xsession.

Greetings,
Oliver
Alexander Beerhoff
2018-08-10 10:15:40 UTC
I'm inclined to forget man pages are more reliable than googling.
In fact from startx man page:
Note that in the Debian system, what many people traditionally put in the
.xinitrc file should go in .xsession instead; this permits the
same X environment to be presented whether startx, xdm, or xinit
is used to start the X session. All discussion of the .xinitrc file in
the xinit(1) manual page applies equally well to .xsession. Keep in
mind that .xinitrc is used only by xinit(1) and completely ignored by
xdm(1).