Re: 3 questions
Mr. Morel Berenger
2017-07-31 06:03:04 UTC
You may have some luck by switchng from mplayer to mpv.
Hello all =)
I just installed i3 and it is fantastic!
Can someone help me out with these?
1. mplayer is very slow in i3 and the screen tears when using -vo xv.
Which should I use?
2. is it possible to get a volume slider in the bottom bar?
3. If 3 windows are like this
+-------+-------+-------+
| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
+-------+-------+-------+
How can I move them to be like this?
+-------+-------+-------+
| | | |
| | |-------|
| | | |
+-------+-------+-------+
Hugs,
Jasmine =)
Tony Crisci
2017-07-28 14:16:17 UTC
Hi, welcome to i3

Question 1:

This is a big problem right now and there's no easy solution. Check to
make sure you are using the most current and up to date video drivers.
If you are using Nvidia, you can get a big performance boost by using
the proprietary drivers (I believe nouveau is underclocked).

For tearing, some people have reported fixing this issue with compton
(https://github.com/chjj/compton). However, compton is very difficult to
configure and requires some advanced knowledge to get it to work. There
are also various tweaks people have come up with for their xorg.conf
configuration files out there on the internet. Unfortunately, this issue
seems to be mostly out of the control of i3 developers.

Question 2:

Take your pick:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/List_of_applications/Multimedia#Volume_managers

Question 3:

Split the container on the right
(https://i3wm.org/docs/userguide.html#_splitting_containers) and then
you can move other containers into it.
Jasmine =)
Jeff Jibson
2017-07-28 19:49:28 UTC
I am pretty sure i3 doesn't work with Wayland. Sway (http://swaywm.org/)
is supposed to be a drop in replacement for i3 in Wayland.

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 1:38 PM, Jasmine Lognnes <
Dear Tony =)
Thanks a lot for the answers!
It is an Intel GPU I have it that changes things? I noticed Chrome and
Firefox also tears when scrolling.
Do you know if i3 works better under Wayland?
Hugs,
Jasmine =)
Hi, welcome to i3
Jasmine =)
Alexander Berntsen
2017-08-01 13:43:03 UTC
Post by Tony Crisci
For tearing, some people have reported fixing this issue with
compton (https://github.com/chjj/compton). However, compton is very
difficult to configure and requires some advanced knowledge to get
it to work.
# /usr/local/bin/startcompton:
compton --backend glx --paint-on-overlay --glx-no-stencil --vsync
opengl-swc -b

# .i3/config:
exec --no-startup-id startcompton
bindsym $mod+Control+c exec --no-startup-id startcompton
bindsym $mod+Control+d exec --no-startup-id pkill '^compton$'
- --
Alexander
***@plaimi.net
https://secure.plaimi.net/~alexander
Casper
2017-07-31 07:40:46 UTC
Hi,
I just installed i3 and it is fantastic!
Been using it for years and it remains fantastic.
1. mplayer is very slow in i3 and the screen tears when using -vo xv.
Which should I use?
I have success using MPV
2. is it possible to get a volume slider in the bottom bar?
MPV has keyboard commands * / to increase and decrease volume.

Placing the mouse cursor on the bottom status/volume bar in MPV will
keep it visible on screen (which is not really desired IMHO since full
screen video is preferable).

Also useful are the <ctrl>+ and <ctrl>- commands to increase /
decrease the syncing of audio in MPV video.

Mapping MPV commands to a cheap IR remote makes a very pleasant
viewing experience and is recommended.
3. If 3 windows are like this
How can I move them to be like this?
+-------+-------+-------+
| | | |
| | |-------|
| | | |
I have no idea. In my own experience, I have found over time that it
is most productive to keeping gui apps tabbed in i3 so that a specific
gui app uses all the screen area. Occasionally I would split the
screen in 2 to refer to applicable information in a second app.

However, for terminal apps, I use tmux (and tmuxinator) to split my
various CLI apps to monitor a server in a similar layout. Ditto for my
CLI development environment.

Hope it helps.