System tray with KDE application
Florian Lindner
2018-07-18 19:22:11 UTC
Hello,

since I was a KDE user before I discovered i3 and tiling window mangers, I still use a number of KDE application. Since recently, dolphin lost the UI settings, everytime it was restarted, this was fixed by these settings (in ~/.xprofile

export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME="kde"
export QT_PLUGIN_PATH=$HOME/.kde4/lib/kde4/plugins/:/usr/lib/kde4/plugins/
export KDE_FULL_SESSION=1
export KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5

A positive effect was also better file-open/save dialoges and I feel an improved font rendering.

A negative effect was, that some (KDE) application do not appear in the system tray anymore (like kmail, kgpg, ...)
Some system tray icons do not owrk anymore. Most notably kmail and
Nextcould. Other \ apps, like Dropbox, udiskie, Redshift-GTK are working.
So I guess there is some KDE \ way of using the systray, kmail and
nextcloud try to use that and it does not work \ with the standard way i3
is using.
Any idea?
Yeah, this can be a side-effect: KDE desktops use a slightly different
method for the \ systray, one that uses dbusmenu-qt. If memory serves me
well this is done by the \ plasma-integration plugin.
- find a plugin/extension for your desktop that supports this method; I know
one \>
exists for the XFCE-panel for instance
- uninstall or otherwise disable the plasma-integration plugin \
($prefix/share/qt5/plugins/platformthemes/KDEPlasmaPlatformTheme.so).
https://marc.info/?l=kde&m=153044765220312

Is there a way to use that kind of system tray with i3? Is that a KDE only thing or a newer standard for systray icons?

Thanks for any ideas!

Best,
Florian
"Proxy" (Redacted sender "proxy-one" for DMARC)
2018-07-18 20:50:48 UTC
You need to install qt5ct and than use

export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct

in your .bashrc.

Some qt applications I start like this:
DESKTOP_SESSION=qt5ct nextcloud
to have everything working.

YMMV
Florian
Florian Lindner
2018-07-18 21:21:28 UTC
Post by "Proxy" (Redacted sender "proxy-one" for DMARC)
You need to install qt5ct and than use
export QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct
Exactly this setting I had when dolphin started to not save the UI settings, that's why I diverted from the setting. I also would prefer to keep it, because KDE apps simply work better that way.
Post by "Proxy" (Redacted sender "proxy-one" for DMARC)
in your .bashrc.
DESKTOP_SESSION=qt5ct nextcloud
Doesn't change anything with respect to the no-icon-in-systray, however

QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME=qt5ct nextcloud

did it.

Any other idea?

Best,