Setting new mode for 2nd monitor fails
Andrej van der Zee
2017-06-09 16:32:36 UTC
Hi,

My external monitors resolution is too low, but xrandr does not show any
higher resolution. I am trying to create a new mode, but it falis to start
like below. How can I set the resolution of my external monitor to
4096x2160?

Thanks,
Andrej

$ xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 8 x 8, current 5440 x 1800, maximum 32767 x 32767
eDP1 connected primary 2880x1800+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y
axis) 331mm x 207mm
2880x1800 59.99*+
2560x1600 60.00
2048x1536 60.00
1920x1440 60.00
1856x1392 60.01
1792x1344 60.01
1920x1200 60.00 59.95
1920x1080 59.93
1600x1200 60.00
1680x1050 60.00 59.95 59.88
1600x1024 60.17
1400x1050 59.98
1280x1024 60.02
1440x900 59.89 60.00
1400x900 60.00
1280x960 60.00
1360x768 59.80 59.96
1280x800 60.00
1152x864 60.00
1024x768 60.00
800x600 60.32 56.25
640x480 59.94
DP1 connected 2560x1440+2880+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
597mm x 336mm
2560x1440 59.95*+
1280x720 59.86
DP2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI2 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI3 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VGA1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
VIRTUAL1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

$ xrandr --newmode "4096x2160_60.00" 759.54 4096 4424 4880 5664 2160
2161 2164 2235 -HSync +Vsync
$ xrandr --addmode DP1 4096x2160_60.00
$ xrandr --verbose --output DP1 --mode 4096x2160_60.00
screen 0: 5440x2160 1438x571 mm 96.05dpi
crtc 2: 4096x2160_60.00 60.00 +0+0 "DP2"
xrandr: Configure crtc 2 failed
crtc 0: disable
crtc 1: disable
crtc 2: disable
crtc 3: disable
screen 0: revert
crtc 0: revert
crtc 1: revert
crtc 2: revert
crtc 3: revert
Ingo Bürk
2017-06-09 16:34:00 UTC
That's not a question related to i3. You should ask this on the xorg mailing list.

Regards
Ingo

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​
crtc 3: revert
Andrej van der Zee
2017-06-09 21:19:27 UTC
Hi Ingo,

Yes you are right, thanks. Just did.

But it turned out my problem is not setting the resolution of my 2nd
display. On Ubuntu with Unity I use 2560x1440 but my everything is nicely
sized (probably cause its using proper dpi). But now I want to switch to i3
and run into this resolution/dpi problem.

My laptop is a Macbook retina screen too, but I was able to fix desktop
size on my laptop with this config:
https://github.com/gsora/i3-retina/blob/master/i3/config

How can I adjust the 2nd monitor? Is it possible to use another dpi for the
2nd monitor?

Thanks,
Andrej
Ingo Bürk
2017-06-09 21:31:05 UTC
The DPI is not something i3 "manages", that's still X, and it's for the entire X screen and not per output — the protocol just is that way. i3 is only another client consuming this setting for rendering. I do believe this situation will be improved under Wayland, at least the KDE compositor addresses it, I believe (but even there it's a fairly complicated issue).

I believe a common workaround is to scale an output. You can find something about that in the ArchWiki under multiple monitors:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI

Regards
Ingo

⁣Sent from TypeApp ​
Andrej
Andrej van der Zee
2017-06-09 21:54:28 UTC
Hi Ingo,

Thanks so much, scaling makes it work :-) Just need to get the mouse under
control with --padding still. Not sure how to interpret the parameters
yet...

Thanks!
Andrej
Andrej van der Zee
2017-06-09 22:02:33 UTC
BTW, I have read somewhere that Sway with Wayland does support DPI per
output. DidnÂŽt get it to work though. But from your message, i conclude
that the lack of multi-DPI for multiple screens is more like an X
shortcoming, that might be solved by Wayland?
Andrej van der Zee
2017-06-09 23:23:12 UTC
Hmmm, --scale visually fixes it, but the mouse doesnt scale. The -panning
option cant make it work, it just creates new issues.

The patch for xserver-org is too old.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/HiDPI#Side_display

So why does this work on Unity on Ubuntu but not with i3? Just wanna
use 2560x1440
and scale 2x2, but my mouse does not scale.

How can I fix this?
Michael Stapelberg
2017-06-10 07:31:52 UTC
For 2x scaling, set Xft.dpi: 192 in ~/.Xresources, and use a cursor theme
which includes cursors in a high-enough resolution, e.g. “Adwaita”.

--
Best regards,
Michael