How can I change current workspace's layout persistently?
Amos Bird
2017-10-29 08:06:51 UTC
Hi,

I have an i3 config like this:

workspace_layout tabbed
set $workspace3 ""
for_window [workspace=$workspace3] layout splith
bindsym $mod+w layout toggle tabbed split

$mod+w can toggle existing window from split to tabbed. But newly
created windows in $workspace3 are
still int split layout. How can I make the layout toggle
persistent? Is it possible to inject a
"for_window" command via i3-msg?

regards,

--
Amos Bird
***@gmail.com
Michael Stapelberg
2017-10-29 15:20:46 UTC
There is no built-in way to change workspace_layout on the fly.

One solution to the problem is to generate your config file and reload it.
Hi,
workspacelayout tabbed
set $workspace3 ""
forwindow [workspace=$workspace3] layout splith
bindsym $mod+w layout toggle tabbed split
$mod+w can toggle existing window from split to tabbed. But newly created
windows in $workspace3 are
still int split layout. How can I make the layout toggle persistent? Is it
possible to inject a
"forwindow" command via i3-msg?
regards,

Amos Bird