i3 wm
"Jackson Will" (Redacted sender "jsonw1" for DMARC)
2018-05-24 08:16:17 UTC
I have 3 monitors. And I can swap workspace 3 (left hand side) and 2 (right hand side) by command i3-msg move workspace to output right while executing the command at the workspace 2. But one issue bugs me. After swaping workspaces, when the cursor is in workspace 2, it can't move straightforward right to the workspace 3 because it seems there exists a boundary between workspace 2 (left hand side) and 3 (right hand side), as ascii described below.

|-----workspace 2-----<cursor>|----- workspace 3-----|

Although it's not a problem for me by pressing hotkey $mod+<workspace number>, it's annoying when people who need to use my environment with mouse. How can I let cursor move from workspace 2 to workspace 3 without getting stopped in the screen boundary?

Thanks

i3 version 4.11 (2015-09-30, branch "4.11") Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
Michael Stapelberg
2018-05-25 15:20:57 UTC
i3 doesn’t put up any boundaries, and is not involved in mouse cursor
movement at all.

I’m not 100% sure where the boundary comes from that you’re experiencing.
What resolution (in pixels) do your monitors have, and how are they
arranged? The output of xrandr -q would help get a better understanding of
your monitor layout.
--
Best regards,
Michael
"Philipp Gröne" (Redacted sender "philipp.groene" for DMARC)
Michael
"Jackson Will" (Redacted sender "jsonw1" for DMARC)
2018-05-31 12:41:48 UTC
`xrandr -q` produces following output. The external monitor for workspace 2 (lhs) is connected by mDP, and that for workspace 3 (rhs) is connected by HDMI. I am not sure why xrandr display both with DP. Thanks for help!

eDP-1-1 connected primary 1920x1080+1920+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 346mm x 194mm
1920x1080 59.93*+
1680x1050 59.95 59.88
1600x1024 60.17
1400x1050 59.98
1280x1024 60.02
1440x900 59.89
1280x960 60.00
1360x768 59.80 59.96
1152x864 60.00
1024x768 60.04 60.00
960x720 60.00
928x696 60.05
896x672 60.01
960x600 60.00
960x540 59.99
800x600 60.00 60.32 56.25
840x525 60.01 59.88
800x512 60.17
700x525 59.98
640x512 60.02
720x450 59.89
640x480 60.00 59.94
680x384 59.80 59.96
576x432 60.06
512x384 60.00
400x300 60.32 56.34
320x240 60.05

DP-1-2-1 connected 1920x1080+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 527mm x 296mm
1920x1080 60.00*+ 50.00 59.94
1600x900 60.00
1280x1024 75.02 60.02
1152x864 75.00
1280x720 60.00 50.00 59.94
1024x768 75.03 60.00
800x600 75.00 60.32
720x576 50.00
720x480 60.00 59.94
640x480 75.00 60.00 59.94
720x400 70.08

DP-1-1-2 connected 1920x1200+3840+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 518mm x 324mm
1920x1200 59.95*+
1920x1080 60.00 50.00 59.94 30.00 25.00 24.00 29.97 23.98
1600x1200 60.00
1280x1024 75.02 60.02
1152x864 75.00
1280x720 60.00 50.00 59.94
1024x768 75.03 60.00
800x600 75.00 60.32
720x576 50.00
720x480 60.00 59.94
640x480 75.00 60.00 59.94
720x400 70.08

Michael
Michael Stapelberg
2018-05-31 13:10:20 UTC
It’s not entirely consistent with the output (or maybe I’m misinterpreting
it), but my first guess would be the mismatching monitor heights: does the
issue also happen when you place your mouse cursor at the top of the screen?
Michael
"Jackson Will" (Redacted sender "jsonw1" for DMARC)
2018-05-31 13:56:05 UTC
Yes basically that's because the cursor hit the boundary of the screen.

I suppose I may have ideas 'what makes it look like wrong', though I still do not know how to adjust/ fix that. When checking with arandr command I notice the layout of entire screen is arranged like

(eDP-1-1) (DP-1-2-1) (DP-1-1-2)

where

eDP-1-1 is my laptop (workspace 1)
DP-1-2-1 is the rhs monitor (workspace 3)
DP-1-2-1 is the lhs monitor (workspace 2)

And nivida-setting shows that only a single big 'screen 0'. So moving cursor from workspace 1 (laptop) to workspace 3 (rhs monitor) to workspace 2 (lhs monitor); and then hitting workspace 2's right hand side boundary should be expected because it's end of the entire screen space.

I guess I should check the underlying monitor configuration instead.

Thanks for all your inputs, which are helpful!

Michael
"Jackson Will" (Redacted sender "jsonw1" for DMARC)
2018-05-31 14:16:50 UTC
Ok, my assumption looks correct. By swapping the position of DP-1-2-1 and DP-1-1-2 fixes the issue.

Original layout

(eDP-1-1) (DP-1-2-1) (DP-1-1-2)

After swapped

(eDP-1-1) (DP-1-1-2) (DP-1-2-1)

Then the cursor can move from left hand side screen to right hand side one.

Thanks again for all your help!