i3 in Linux-on-Android context
Will Meister
2018-06-21 14:14:26 UTC
Hi guys, my first post here. I have two very specific and rather unusual I3
queries. Maybe someone else has trodden the same path.

Background: I've installed Linux on an Android device using GnuRoot, which
uses PRoot (like chroot) to install a commandline Linux into a directory
and limits its access to the rest of the file system.
I'm using an app called Xserver XSDL to give me Xwindows-like
functionality. I didn't do a full install of Xwindows.
I want to use I3 because of its support for keyboard shortcuts. I have I3
up and running quite well.

Issues:

#1. I can't change the font used in Xterm. I've edited .Xresources, but
when I do:

xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

...I get a 'Can't open display' message. I guess the reason for that is
obvious, but I need to change the font! How can I do it?

#2. I also want to change the font I3 uses in the top and bottom of
windows. I copied the default i3 configuration file to:

~/.i3/config

...but editing it has no effect. Is this likely to be a result of my
strange setup, or am I missing something basic?

Best, Will
Ingo Bürk
2018-06-21 14:17:06 UTC
Hi Will,

although not related to i3 at all, for your first issue maybe try using

DISPLAY=:0 xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

if for some reason $DISPLAY isn't set (which often is the cause for this
error).

Regarding the other question: run i3 --more-version to see the location
of the config file i3 is pulling in. That's the one you'll want to edit.

Best Regards
#1. I can't change the font used in Xterm. I've edited .Xresources,
but when I do: