Emacs shortcuts in Chrome
Nathan Naze
2018-01-02 20:54:43 UTC
I recently started use of i3wm on my workstation after a recommendation.
After a few days of learning curve, I'm fond.

However, one annoyance is the lack of emacs keybindings in Chrome text
fields (beyond terminals and code editors, that's probably where I spend
most of my time).

In Cinnamon, I could enable emacs bindings by modifying GTK preferences
(documented at [0]), but this seems not to work for i3wm.

Has anyone gotten this working? I'd be appreciative of any tips, and
hopefully the answer can be documented here so that future searchers can
also find it.

Thank you,

Nathan

[0]
https://askubuntu.com/questions/124815/how-do-i-enable-emacs-keybindings-in-apps-such-as-google-chrome
Michael Stapelberg
Michael
Nathan Naze
2018-01-03 17:58:41 UTC
Great, thank you -- I was missing this. Some combination of adding
that to my config file (per statements in [0]) and munging with GTK
settings got this working.

Namely, I added "exec /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon" to
~/.i3/config , set preferences as described in [1], and edited
settings.ini files in ~/.config/gtk-3.0 and ~/.config/gtk-2.0

Hopefully this thread will serve as guidance to others searching about
this problem in the future. The solution a huge boon to me as I spend
a lot of my day editing emails in Gmail and the emacs shortcuts make
it much quicker.

Thanks Michael,

Nathan

[0] https://faq.i3wm.org/question/279/how-do-you-use-i3-comfortably.1.html#342