missing tray
Serge van Ginderachter
2016-11-23 08:33:50 UTC
Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a new laptop, and whatever I tried so
far, I don't get any trayicons displayed.

My setup:
- my i3 config is at https://github.com/srvg/dotfiles/blob/master/.i3/config
- I set `tray_output primary'
- I have that same config running on my old laptop, where I always had
the tray displayed on my primary screen
- I started installing with 4.12, in the mean time I have 4.13
running, same problem
- Ubuntu 14.10, with upstream sur5r.net repo's
- I use py3status with
https://github.com/srvg/dotfiles/blob/master/.i3/i3status.conf, I do
have the status bar, I only miss the tray on my primary screen

What I tried so far
- I tried removing the tray_output setting and tried explicitly
setting an xrandr screen name
- I verified a primary screen is set
- tried running i3 as a standalone sessions (as per default ubuntu
install, ran from lightdm) and as a gnome-i3 session (as
perhttps://github.com/lvillani/i3-gnome) - both setups have this
problem

Right now I'm not even sure how to further troubleshoot this. Any
pointers are well appreciated.

Thanks,

Serge van Ginderachter
(svg on freenode)
Stanisław Drozd
2016-11-23 08:41:09 UTC
Hello Serge,
Have you tried falling back to the original i3status? Does your system
provide freedesktop's standard icon tray (I don't know all the details,
but I've got a dim memory of a similar problem where I had to install
something to provide the org.freedesktop.<something_about_the_tray>)?
(svg on freenode)
Ingo Bürk
(svg on freenode)
Serge van Ginderachter
2016-11-23 08:58:14 UTC
Does this help? > http://srg.vg/2f5xu0r
Ingo Bürk
2016-11-23 09:02:21 UTC
According to the log file i3bar has set up the tray host, but you have
never opened any tray window that requested docking. Which dock client
have you tested with?
Serge van Ginderachter
2016-11-23 11:35:33 UTC
I have multiple currently running:

nm-applet
seafile-applet
dropbox

some occasionaly yield desktop notifications, so I knew they are
running properly
Ingo Bürk
2016-11-23 11:38:18 UTC
Have you ensured that you run them after i3bar is launched? I'm not sure
how they react if the get launched first. Can you kill nm-applet and run
it again manually as a test? Ideally provide an i3bar log file from when
you do that.
Serge van Ginderachter
2016-11-23 11:43:25 UTC
I did, see http://srg.vg/2f5Y9tU for the log, but AFAICS nothing different.
To the best of my knowledge, that order of start up doesn't make any
difference. Restarting i3bar or a tray applet always works.
Serge van Ginderachter
2016-11-23 14:10:19 UTC
fyi - after a reboot I suddenly notice the applet for IBus
language/input selector, but still no other applets...

On 23 November 2016 at 12:43, Serge van Ginderachter
Serge van Ginderachter
2016-11-26 08:35:35 UTC
Hi All,

Some follow up. I ended up "blaming Ubuntu" and suspecting some
white/blacklisting tray icon feature that seems to not be configurable
anymore, but that seems to be not the case.

For (also) other reasons, I choose to ditch my approach of running i3
integrated with gnome sessions, which I tried in the hope of not
having to reinvent too many wheels. It seems however lots of those
wheels are tightly integrated with how Ubuntu sets up his Unity
Desktop, and stuff still don't work.
Anyway, I choose to rebuild my setup based on Debian testing, and
manually install and configure all needed package, to have the best
control of what is happening.

Add then it seemed I had this same problem again.

Turned out, here I noticed (perhaps because no gnome-settings-daemon
was intefering with my displays anymore) very clearly not primary
display was set when i3 got started. Setting a primary display by
itself did not solve it yet, as I had to restart all applications that
set a tray icon.

I know solved it by doing an exec xrandr --output XX --primary at the
very start of my i3.conf. If anyone knows a better place to tackle
that, let me know!

I did not have this problem on my previous X220, and this happens now
on a T460s, which both have Intel chipsets for video. Perhaps a change
in driver/.. triggers the T460s of not having a primary by default at
the start of i3?

Thanks for the help, and HTH.

Serge

On 23 November 2016 at 15:10, Serge van Ginderachter
Serge van Ginderachter
2016-11-26 08:57:49 UTC
On 26 November 2016 at 09:35, Serge van Ginderachter
Post by Serge van Ginderachter
I know solved it by doing an exec xrandr --output XX --primary at the
very start of my i3.conf. If anyone knows a better place to tackle
that, let me know!
Alternatively, not setting any primary and removing `tray_output
primary' from the bar config also solves it. Not sure how this would
however behave once I start switching displays and setting my primary
on an external screen.

Serge van Ginderachter
2016-11-23 08:51:16 UTC
Post by Stanisław Drozd
Have you tried falling back to the original i3status?
Yes! Forgot to mention that.
Post by Stanisław Drozd
Does your system
provide freedesktop's standard icon tray (I don't know all the details, but
I've got a dim memory of a similar problem where I had to install something
to provide the org.freedesktop.<something_about_the_tray>)?
I'm would expect so, but I'm not sure?