layout toggle split not working as expected
Florian Lindner
2017-10-02 03:43:23 UTC
Hello,

I have bound

bindsym $mod+e layout toggle split

and if I recall correctly, it behaved like that:

I have three stacked windows in the topmost container. toggle split changes the layout to splitting, so that I now have
three windows split v- or h-wise.

Now I first have to split a container (split v) an then move the window in that container and after that I can use
layout toggle split to switch between h and v split.

Has the default behaviour changed recently? How I can get the old behavior?

Thanks,
Florian
Michael Stapelberg
2017-10-02 07:53:42 UTC
The most recent change was
https://github.com/i3/i3/commit/37658bd6d7066489cef38dfbb8797975d2024b2a.
If you think there is a regression from documented behavior, please
file an issue on GitHub with steps to reproduce and a log file. I
couldn’t quite follow your description, so I can’t post a more helpful
reply. The logfile will help clarify things.
--
Best regards,
Michael
Florian Lindner
2017-10-03 02:24:53 UTC
Ok, I enabled logging and did the folling:

Default layout is stacked.
Used Mod+Return twice -> two Konsole windows, stacked.
Pressed Mod+e (layout toggle split). Nothing happend

What I expected: layout changes to split. Logfile is attached.

What works:
Mod+Return, Mod+v (split v), Mod+Return

Now Mod+e switches between horizontal and vertical split.

I hope I was able to be more clear now.

I'm not really sure what the intended behavior is here. When you confirm it's a bug, I will certainly open an issue on
Github.

Best Thanks,
Florian
Florian