Problem with statusbar
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-04 13:56:23 UTC
Hi,

Recently, i3 has been unable to bring up status bar by itself.

Problems started without me having changed config or updated i3. I'm
wondering if it perhaps could have been triggered by video drivers or some
such (the only thing even vaguely relevant that's changed).

I encountered issues while on i3 4.10.4 and i3status 2.7. In trying to
solve it, I upgraded to i3 4.13-r1 and i3status 2.10-r1. It did not help.

I've tried starting i3 with no config; I've tried starting with clean
config from /etc. Including, of course, clean i3status conf. No difference;
I don't see a status bar.

I tried moving to i3blocks instead of i3status; no difference: no status
bar.

I do get a status bar if the bar block in config consists of "i3bar_command
i3bar" instead of status_command.

I have tried status_command "normal" and exec; no change. I have tried
status_command i3status, i3blocks, as well as to a script. Nothing works
--- if I just leave it at that, a working bar block in config.

In order to actually get a status bar, I need to start it with the command
"/usr/bin/i3bar --bar_id=bar-0" if I run it in the terminal or through
dmenu. I've created a script containing nothing but the line above. If I
run it in terminal or dmenu, I get a status bar.

*Since the command above works, config is set up correctly.* There is a bar
block. The bar block can be called manually. But i3 is not able to do it.

If I run the script (i3bar --bar_id....) through exec in i3, it does not
work.

If I run the same script through a bindsym in i3, it does not work.

But, again, the same script in shell or dmenu? Works.

When trying through bindsym, I get the following in the session log:
(libev) epoll_wait: Invalid argument
[libi3] ../../i3-4.13/libi3/font.c Using Pango font DejaVu Sans Mono, size
8
[libi3] ../../i3-4.13/libi3/font.c X11 root window dictates 96.094581 DPI
/PATH/i3-mystatus.sh: rad 3: 4799 Avbruten (SIGABRT) i3bar --bar_id=bar-0
Exiting due to signal.

Here's a dwm log using configs straight from /etc:
http://pastebin.com/eGbsXbqU
Note lines 903 to 928. Status bar is initiated --- but is disconnected. The
result as seen on the display / from the users perspective. Nothing. No
status bar.

Later (lines 1856 and forward) I start the status bar through dmenu; and
status bar is shown.

Regardless of how I try to start bar from within i3, if with a
status_command or a status_command exec or an command/exec to a script that
runs i3bar --- I get nothing. Even tried having an exec to script; nothing.
I tried to add a bindsym to i3bar, and/or to the script running it --- no
go.

But if I run the script (containing 'i3bar --bar_id=bar-0') through either
dmenu or bash --- it works!

i3bar seems to SIGABRT when run through i3, but not when run through bash
or dmenu. What could cause this!?

Any ideas?

Kind regards,
Kristian
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 20:12:29 UTC
Hi,

[Tried sending this email a few days ago, but not sure if you got it?
Apologies if it's a double post.]

Kristian
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 20:15:43 UTC
Hi again,

In case you suspect my problems are caused by faulty configuration.

I moved away .config/i3 elsewhere, created .config/i3 and copied in
/etc/i3/config <http://pastebin.com/nX8EJ7hF>[1] and /etc/i3status.conf
<http://pastebin.com/QjkUBK20>[2] to .config/i3 .

I doublechecked no other processes were running, prior to starting i3 in
debug mode:

PID TTY TIME CMD
7151 tty2 00:00:00 bash
7482 tty2 00:00:00 ps

I started i3 --- no bar was shown. Though there is a bar configured (see
lines 166ff in config <http://pastebin.com/nX8EJ7hF>).

See also i3 log <http://pastebin.com/M6wak8hM>[3] lines 891ff, where a bar
is started and disconnected (line 928).

I then start dmenu (see config <http://pastebin.com/nX8EJ7hF> line 44 and
log <http://pastebin.com/M6wak8hM>, line 1791), to run the aforementioned
script (containing `i3bar --bar_id=bar-0`). Bar config is found, and
executed (log <http://pastebin.com/M6wak8hM>, lines 2037 and forward). And,
most importantly, a status bar is actually shown!

Note that this status bar is very different from the one I'd normally get
--- because this one is created through the i3status found in /etc; not my
normal one. (Not attaching screenshots, hope you take my word for it. ;-) )

Kind regards,
Kristian

[1] http://pastebin.com/nX8EJ7hF

[2] http://pastebin.com/QjkUBK20

[3] http://pastebin.com/M6wak8hM
Ingo Bürk
2016-12-06 20:26:57 UTC
Hi,

in the i3 log you find the exact command i3 used to start i3bar. What
happens if you execute exactly that line manually (i.e., including
specifying the socket)?

Also, can you try adding

i3bar_command "i3bar --bar_id=bar-0 >/tmp/i3bar.log 2>&1 ;"

to your i3 config and then show the log file (haven't actually checked
if this trick works, but I hope so since we pass the command to a shell
– if not, we can create a quick patch that does this, though).

Ingo

If this still brings up i3bar I think we should move this to a Github
issue, create a small
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 20:58:51 UTC
Hi,

Thanks for trying to help out!

If I run ` i3bar --bar_id=bar-0` it works.

If I run `i3bar --bar_id=bar-0
--socket="/tmp/i3-krisse.J3FTeK/ipc-socket.94"` it works.

If I add the line
i3bar_command "i3bar --bar_id=bar-0 >/tmp/i3bar.log 2>&1 ;"
to the config, I get error messages about the config.

Kind regards,
Kristian
Ingo Bürk
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 21:09:38 UTC
Ah! Gotcha. Then it works. I get desktops at the left (just as I do if I
use i3bar_command i3bar instead of status_command i3status), and a log is
produced. Alas, it's empty.

Kind regards,
Kristian
Ingo Bürk
2016-12-06 21:12:26 UTC
Is it still empty if you also add

verbose yes

to the bar {} block?
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 21:21:26 UTC
OK.

Here we go: http://pastebin.com/idxEMbSK

(Only desktops shown to the left; no info from i3status.)

Kind regards,
Kristian
Ingo Bürk
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 21:27:38 UTC
Lines are continually written to the log file. But yes, cut off like that
--- at that moment in time.

Here's something, maybe? I added a status_command to the bar block, and now
get the following:

(libev) epoll_wait: Invalid argument
[libi3] ../../i3-4.13/libi3/font.c Using X font
-misc-fixed-medium-r-normal--13-120-75-75-C-70-iso10646-1
[../../i3-4.13/i3bar/src/xcb.c:1315] Calculated font height: 13
[../../i3-4.13/i3bar/src/xcb.c:1452] Setting bar_fg = #FFFFFF as
_NET_SYSTEM_TRAY_COLORS
Exiting due to signal.

Kind regards,
Kristian
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 21:33:38 UTC
The previous (exiting due to signal) was when i3 tried to start i3bar
itself.

When I started it manually, with the following command:
i3bar --bar_id=bar-0 --socket="/tmp/i3-krisse.Wq48cx/ipc-socket.31401"
./i3bar-log 2>&1
I got the following log file (I killed i3bar myself, manually, at the end):
http://pastebin.com/ZGy16eJN

Kind regards,
Kristian
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 21:36:14 UTC
Oh, I also tried creating a new user, to verify it's not about my config.
Same results.

Kind regards,
Kristian
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 21:40:07 UTC
Here's a new one.

http://pastebin.com/MRB2i2JE

Cut off in a different way?

Kind regards,
Kristian
Ingo Bürk
2016-12-06 21:44:54 UTC
This could perhaps be [1]. Are you using lightdm and if so, which version?

[1] https://github.com/i3/i3/issues/2394
Post by Kristian Niemi
Here's a new one.
http://pastebin.com/MRB2i2JE
Cut off in a different way?
Kind regards,
Kristian
Post by Kristian Niemi
Hi,
Thanks for trying to help out!
If I run ` i3bar --bar_id=bar-0` it works.
If I run `i3bar --bar_id=bar-0
--socket="/tmp/i3-krisse.J3FTeK/ipc-socket.94"` it works.
If I add the line
i3bar_command "i3bar --bar_id=bar-0 >/tmp/i3bar.log 2>&1 ;"
to the config, I get error messages about the config.
Kind regards,
Kristian
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 at 21:27 Ingo BÃŒrk
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 21:49:11 UTC
Interesting! No, I'm using entrance. But I can change entrance/login
manager and see if it matters.

Kind regards,
/Kristian
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 21:57:57 UTC
It was the login manager!

Switched to sddm and it now works.

Thanks! I've been going nuts about this.

Kind regards,
Kristian
Ingo Bürk
2016-12-06 21:58:58 UTC
Alright, glad we got it figured out. Please do consider reporting the
bug there. :-)
Post by Kristian Niemi
It was the login manager!
Switched to sddm and it now works.
Thanks! I've been going nuts about this.
Kind regards,
Kristian
Interesting! No, I'm using entrance. But I can change
entrance/login manager and see if it matters.
Kind regards,
/Kristian
This could perhaps be [1]. Are you using lightdm and if so, which version?
[1] https://github.com/i3/i3/issues/2394
Post by Kristian Niemi
Here's a new one.
http://pastebin.com/MRB2i2JE
Cut off in a different way?
Kind regards,
Kristian
Post by Kristian Niemi
OK.
Here we go: http://pastebin.com/idxEMbSK
(Only desktops shown to the left; no info from i3status.)
Kind regards,
Kristian
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 at 22:12 Ingo BÃŒrk
Post by Kristian Niemi
Ah! Gotcha. Then it works. I get desktops at the
left (just as I do if I use i3bar_command i3bar
instead of status_command i3status), and a log is
produced. Alas, it's empty.
Kind regards,
Kristian
On Tue, 6 Dec 2016 at 22:00 Ingo BÃŒrk
Post by Kristian Niemi
Hi,
Thanks for trying to help out!
If I run ` i3bar --bar_id=bar-0` it works.
If I run `i3bar --bar_id=bar-0
--socket="/tmp/i3-krisse.J3FTeK/ipc-socket.94"`
it works.
If I add the line
i3bar_command "i3bar --bar_id=bar-0
/tmp/i3bar.log 2>&1 ;"
Kristian Niemi
2016-12-06 22:07:22 UTC
Yup, I'll add to the report you mentioned that entrance is also effected.

Thank you for helping! Much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Kristian