notify and hidpi display
Raymond Auge
2016-07-04 17:05:23 UTC
Hello,

First of all, thank you for i3. It's wonderful.

I've searched the archives but did not find a solution to the following
issue

The text of the notifications messages on HiDPI displays is still tiny (and
unreadable).

My eyes are getting bad and I would like to increase the size.

All other aspects are working correctly so far by using a configuration of:

exec gnome-settings-daemon // this fixes UI scalling in all GTK apps
exec xrandr --dpi 220 // this fixes UI scalling in all parts of i3

However, the notify widget does not seem to be affected by the xrandr dpi
settings.

I'm wondering if there's a way to tell whatever OSD impl to use the same
xrandr settings, or to configure it directly.

Any ideas?
Sincerely,
- Ray
Ingo Bürk
2016-07-04 20:17:27 UTC
Hi Ray,

HiDPI has to be supported by the application itself as well. It is known
that some applications don't properly support it and there's really
nothing you can do about it. So it somewhat depends on what notification
daemon you are using to display notifications.

Regards

- Ray
Raymond Auge
2016-07-04 20:29:08 UTC
Thank you Ingo,

After some digging I found that the osd daemon in use is dunst and it's
font size default's to 8px. After bumping it up to 20px it's readable.

Thank you,
- Ray